Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Fanfest 2014 - Signs

Just because I'm not going on an organized tour this year doesn't mean I'm sitting in my hotel blogging all day.  I'm also not drinking all night either.  Okay, maybe I'm doing that.  DNSBlack is a very interesting fellow, especially for a Russian.  I also got to meet mynnna last night before he and Ali left to conduct some sort of nefarious CSM spaceship politician business.  I also heard that the CSM is staying at my hotel this year.  If true, this is the second time in three years.  I wonder if the Thingholt is the official CCP hotel for this year's Fanfest, or if all the journalists will wind up at the Plaza.  If the journos are staying at the Plaza, I'm glad I'm a blogger and not a journalist.

While walking around, I discovered a few things.  First, remember that dev blog on reprocessing?  The one with the graphic that read, "Keep calm and carry on"?  Well, that sentiment is not just for internet spaceships in Reykjavik.






Icelandic cuisine known for having some unusual offerings and you can find lots of restaurants catering to other country's dishes.  But I never expected to see a restaurant paying homage to the legend himself.





Reykjavik is dominated by the Hallgrímskirkja Church, which sits at the top of the big hill.  Those who are tired of behaving (like the entire population of Jita) can stop in at this bar located down the street (and down the hill).


Finally, I spotted a little café a few yards away from the church grounds.  I'm not really sure if this is a message about the old Norse gods, or if the place is owned by a Matari family with a fondness for wormhole goods.





I should add that for those who don't want to work out at the gym, just walking up to see the Hallgrímskirkja Church is a nice climb.

I hopefully will run around for a couple more days before I'm stuck inside conducting serious internet spaceship business.  But not taking advantage of walking around Iceland's capital is a crime I don't want to commit.

5 comments:

  1. DNSBlack is from Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had the Icelandic Braveheart at Cafe Loki today. First Icelandic restaurant of the trip. Definitely will be going back to try the other dishes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you met mynnna.....and he yet lives? Perhaps if you had sacrificed him in a volcano the gods would have smiled on us with a better set of dev blogs than today.

    ReplyDelete