Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Haggling Over Price

After looking at the prices in The Noble Exchange, CCP's new in-game cash shop, I was reminded of a joke.
Man:  Would you sleep with me for $5 million?
Woman:  Sure.
Man:  Okay, how about for $1?

Woman:  No way!  What kind of woman do you think I am?
Man:  Oh, I already know.  Now we're just haggling over the price.
Since the introduction of the 30 Days CONCORD Pilot's License Extension (PLEX) in November 2008, players in Eve Online have had the option of purchasing any item in the game for real life money.  But up until the introduction of Incarna on Tuesday, players, for the most part, were the ones who set the prices.  Now, with the Noble Exchange, CCP is setting prices that, to put it mildly, are a bit pricy.

  • Looking Glass Ocular implant: 12,000 AUR (3.5 PLEX)
  • Men’s ‘Sterling’ Dress Shirt: 3,600 AUR (0.97 PLEX)
  • Women’s ‘Sterling’ Dress Blouse: 3,200 AUR (0.91 PLEX)
  • Men’s ‘Comando’ Pants: 3,000 AUR (0.85 PLEX)
  • Women “Impress” Skirt: 3,600 AUR (0.97 PLEX)
  • Women’s ‘Sterling’ Dress Blouse: 4,400 AUR (1.25 PLEX)
  • Men’s ‘Precision’ Boots: 1,000 AUR (0.28 PLEX)
  • Women’s ‘Greave’ Knee-Boots: 2,400 AUR (0.68 PLEX)
EveNews24 converted the prices to money so I wouldn't have to do any math.  That's good because math is hard.
  • Looking Glass Ocular implant: $61.25
  • Men’s ‘Sterling’ Dress Shirt: $16.97
  • Women’s ‘Sterling’ Dress Blouse: $16.00
  • Men’s ‘Comando’ Pants: $15
  • Women “Impress” Skirt: $16.97
  • Women’s ‘Sterling’ Dress Blouse: $22.00
  • Men’s ‘Precision’ Boots: $5.00
  • Women’s ‘Greave’ Knee-Boots: $12.00
Really CCP?  I know that players throw around SOE's NGE when talking about game changes they don't like.  I'm going to throw out another one.  The Allods cash shop.  The Russian free-to-play game made a pretty big mistake when they opened.  Now it looks like CCP used a Russian pricing model for their cash shop.  I don't think that is too smart, but I'm not a game developer, so what do I know?  But I'm still going to wait for all the new Russians taking over Eve jokes to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment